Prep 15 mins
Cook 25 mins
Rich and creamy scalloped spinach is a natural accompaniment to red meat. Although some recipes omit the bacon, adding pieces of cooked, smoked bacon balances and rounds out the other flavors.
- 4 slices bacon, chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups cooked chopped spinach (2 bunches fresh, or two 10-ounce packages frozen, squeezed dry)
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 3⁄4 cup cracker crumb, such as saltines
- 2 tablespoons butter
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter an 8-inch square, 3-inch deep baking pan or casserole.
- Cook bacon in a skillet over medium heat until crisp. Drain off all but 1 Tbls of the bacon grease. Add the onion to skillet and fry until tender but not browned, about 3 minutes.
- Beat the eggs in a large bowl, then add the spinach, flour and milk; stir until well blended. Add the bacon-onion mixture and stir to combine. Season with salt and pepper.
- Pour into prepared pan. Cover top with cracker crumbs and dot with butter. Bake until a knife inserted in center comes out clean, about 20 to 30 minutes (begin checking at 15 minutes).
Nice change from plain spinach. Didn't make any changes to the recipe. Thanks Tweeky. Bullwinkle.