Recipe by Judith N.
Rich and creamy scalloped spinach is a natural accompaniment to red meat. Although some recipes omit the bacon, adding pieces of cooked, smoked bacon balances and rounds out the other flavors.
- 4 slices bacon, chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups cooked chopped spinach (2 bunches fresh, or two 10-ounce packages frozen, squeezed dry)
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 3⁄4 cup cracker crumb, such as saltines
- 2 tablespoons butter
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter an 8-inch square, 3-inch deep baking pan or casserole.
- Cook bacon in a skillet over medium heat until crisp. Drain off all but 1 Tbls of the bacon grease. Add the onion to skillet and fry until tender but not browned, about 3 minutes.
- Beat the eggs in a large bowl, then add the spinach, flour and milk; stir until well blended. Add the bacon-onion mixture and stir to combine. Season with salt and pepper.
- Pour into prepared pan. Cover top with cracker crumbs and dot with butter. Bake until a knife inserted in center comes out clean, about 20 to 30 minutes (begin checking at 15 minutes).