Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
A tasty smoked fish pie using canned smoked fish. First made this in 1967!!!!
- 1 (450 g) can smoked fish fillet (flaked & juice reserved)
- 1⁄2 cup chopped celery (cooked til tender in a little water)
- 2 hardboiled egg (chopped)
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley
- 2 cups mashed potatoes
- 1⁄2 cup tasty cheese (grated)
Curried White Sauce use 1 1/2 cups
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1 1⁄4 cups milk (plus the reserved fish juice from can)
- Make sauce.
- Melt butter in medium sized pot and stir in flour and salt.
- Cook 1 minute and add curry powder.
- Slowly add in the liquid 1/2 cup at a time, whisking well and bringing to a boil between additions. You may need to add more milk if mixture is too stiff. This should be a thick sauce though.
- Stir in grated cheese til melted.
- Add flaked fish, celery, hard boiled eggs and parsley.
- Pour into a greased dish and top with the mashed potato. You can either pipe it on or spoon on and rough up with a fork.
- Sprinkle on some grated cheese if liked.
- Bake in a mod oven 350'F/180'C until top is golden brown and pie is heated through. About 15-20mins.
I made this using fish we smoked ourselves, so no extra liquid to save. Instead I just used all milk. I lightly sauteed the celery in the butter before continuing with the sauce and added a good squeeze of lemon to it too. Russ said it was just like his mum used to make in NZ!