Recipe by Vicki in CT
Triple threat cheese combination. From Bon Appetite.
Top Review by Scoutie
Wow, this is soooo good! I have been making this for years, first saw it in Bon Appetit magazine, Nov. 1999 issue,Rick Rodgers is the chef. Although it is great just the way it is, here are some of the changes I have made through out the years: Increase the amount of cheeses; the Parmesan I increase to 3/4 cup. Add a touch of garlic powder. Instead of heating the milk to a simmer on the stovetop, I put the milk in a large pyrex measuring cup and heat it in the microwave. I also use half of the butter called for as the cheeses make it very rich already. One thing I love about it is that you can make it and bake it beforehand. Then stick it in the frig. Then 45 minutes before serving it, put it in the oven uncovered. This is truly a keeper. Thanks for posting, Vicki!
- 3⁄4 cup grated extra-sharp cheddar cheese (about 4 ounces)
- 3⁄4 cup crumbled danish blue cheese (about 4 ounces)
- 1⁄3 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese (about 1 1/4 ounces)
- 4 lbs russet potatoes, peeled, cut into 1/4-inch-thick rounds
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1⁄4 cup finely chopped onion
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 3 cups whole milk
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 400°F Lightly butter 13x9x2-inch glass baking dish. Mix cheddar cheese, blue cheese and Parmesan in small bowl.
- Arrange half of potatoes in prepared baking dish, overlapping slightly. Sprinkle with teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Sprinkle onion over, then flour. Dot with 2 tablespoons butter. Sprinkle half of cheese mixture over. Top with remaining potatoes, 3/4 teaspoon salt, 1/4 teaspoon pepper and 2 tablespoons butter. Reserve remaining cheese.
- Bring milk to simmer in medium saucepan. Pour milk over potatoes (milk will not cover potatoes completely). Cover baking dish tightly with foil. Bake 45 minutes. Uncover dish (liquids in dish may look curdled); sprinkle potatoes with reserved cheese mixture. Bake uncovered until potatoes are tender and cheese is deep golden brown, about 45 minutes longer. (Can be prepared 2 hours ahead. Let stand at room temperature. Cover and rewarm in 375°F oven about 20 minutes.) Remove from oven; let stand 15 minutes before serving.