Prep 25 mins
Cook 1 hr 20 mins
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 lb bulk Italian sausage
- 2 onions, thinly sliced
- 1 large red bell pepper, seeded and cut into 1/3 inch strips
- 1 large green bell pepper, seeded and cut into 1/3 inch strips
- coarse salt
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 pinch crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 cup canned tomato with juice
- 1 3⁄4 lbs russet potatoes
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup freshly grated pecorino cheese or 1⁄2 cup parmesan cheese
- fresh ground black pepper
- 2 cups half-and-half
- Heat the oil in a large heavy skillet.
- Crumble in the sausage and cook, stirring and breaking up the meat, until it loses its pink color.
- Drain all but 1 tablespoon of fat off.
- Add onions and bell peppers, season with salt and saute.
- Add the garlic and cook for about 1 minute.
- Add the oregano, crushed red pepper and tomatoes.
- Stir, breaking up the tomatoes and cook until very thick.
- Remove from the heat.
- Heat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Grease a 3-quart casserole.
- Peel the potatoes and cut them into 1/8 inch-thick slices.
- Combine the flour with 1/4 cup of the cheese.
- Place one-third of the potatoes in a layer in the casserole.
- Season with salt and pepper and sprinkle with half the flour mix.
- Spoon on half the sausage and peppers.
- Repeat layers ending with potatoes and seasonings.
- Pour in the half-and-half and cover the casserole with aluminum foil.
- Bake for 45 minutes.
- Uncover the casserole and push the potatoes down to submerge them.
- Sprinkle with the remaining 1/4 cup cheese and bake for another 40 minutes or so.
- The top of the casserole will be a rich brown, and the dish will be very juicy.
- Let rest for at least 20 minutes before serving.
Very good one dish meal. I agree that there is quite a bit of prep involved but if you have the time it is worth it. I liked it because my cupboard was pretty bare but I had all these ingredients. It is also something out of the ordinary and that is always nice. I cut down the half and half with milk and it was still very good so that could cut a few fat calories...
I like this. Seemed like it was a lot of prep work, but in the end wasnt too bad. I used condenced milk instead of half and half to cut down the fat, I dont think that was the best Idea.( Inside wasnt 'creamy' at all.) But all and all it was good and husband went back for 3rd's!
I loved this!! The flavours were great, it wasn't complicated and after the initial cooking you just bung it in the oven!!! I wanted a recipe using Italian sausage because I've never cooked them before and I knew when I read the ingredients that I'd enjoy this. I made this meal for myself because the rest of the family wanted something that I don't like....well now they want the leftovers tomorrow but they'll have to fight me for them!! And I imagine that it will taste even better then (if that's possible) - thanks Charlotte J for a really tasty meal that I'll be making again!!