4 hrs 50 mins
4 hrs 20 mins
In ‘ Slow Cooker Revolution: Volume 2’ by ATK
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb russet potato, peeled and halved lengthwise
- 1 lb carrot, peeled
- 1 lb parsnip, peeled
- 1 1/4 cups heavy cream
- 1 1/4 cups chicken broth
- 4 1/2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 1/4 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1Line slow cooker with foil collar and spray with vegetable oil spray.
- 2Using food processor fitted with 1/4-inch slicing disk, slice potatoes, carrots, and parsnips.
- 3Microwave sliced vegetables and 2 T cream in covered bowl, stirring occasionally, until vegetables are almost tender, 6-8 minutes.
- 4In large bowl, microwave remaining cream, broth, cornstarch, butter, garlic, salt, pepper, and thyme, stirring occasionally, until thickened, about 1 minute.
- 5Slowly whisk in 3/4 c cheddar until evenly melted.
- 6Spread half of sauce in prepared slow cooker.
- 7Arrange vegetable mixer over sauce into even thickness and press gently to compress layers.
- 8Spread remaining sauce over top.
- 9Cover and cook until vegetables are tender, 5-6 hours on LOW or 3-4 hours on HIGH.
- 10Remove foil collar.
- 11Sprinkle with remaining ½ c cheddar and let sit until cheese is melted and casserole is cooled slightly, about 20 minutes; serve.
- 12**To make a foil collar—fold sheets of heavy-duty foil until you have a six-layered foil rectangle that measures roughly 16 inches long by 4 inches wide for a large slow cooker or 12 by 4 inches for a small slow cooker; then press the collar into the back side of the slow cooker insert; the food will help hold the collar in place during cooking and the collar will prevent the food from cooking unevenly.
Browse Our Top Potato Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Scalloped Potatoes With Root Vegetables
Serving Size: 1 (268 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 335.7
- Calories from Fat 194
- Total Fat 21.6 g
- Saturated Fat 13.3 g
- Cholesterol 73.3 mg
- Sodium 579.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 28.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.7 g
- Sugars 6.1 g
- Protein 8.3 g