Prep 30 mins
Cook 4 hrs 20 mins
In ‘ Slow Cooker Revolution: Volume 2’ by ATK
- 1 lb russet potato, peeled and halved lengthwise
- 1 lb carrot, peeled
- 1 lb parsnip, peeled
- 1 1⁄4 cups heavy cream
- 1 1⁄4 cups chicken broth
- 4 1⁄2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 1⁄4 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- Line slow cooker with foil collar and spray with vegetable oil spray.
- Using food processor fitted with 1/4-inch slicing disk, slice potatoes, carrots, and parsnips.
- Microwave sliced vegetables and 2 T cream in covered bowl, stirring occasionally, until vegetables are almost tender, 6-8 minutes.
- In large bowl, microwave remaining cream, broth, cornstarch, butter, garlic, salt, pepper, and thyme, stirring occasionally, until thickened, about 1 minute.
- Slowly whisk in 3/4 c cheddar until evenly melted.
- Spread half of sauce in prepared slow cooker.
- Arrange vegetable mixer over sauce into even thickness and press gently to compress layers.
- Spread remaining sauce over top.
- Cover and cook until vegetables are tender, 5-6 hours on LOW or 3-4 hours on HIGH.
- Remove foil collar.
- Sprinkle with remaining ½ c cheddar and let sit until cheese is melted and casserole is cooled slightly, about 20 minutes; serve.
- **To make a foil collar—fold sheets of heavy-duty foil until you have a six-layered foil rectangle that measures roughly 16 inches long by 4 inches wide for a large slow cooker or 12 by 4 inches for a small slow cooker; then press the collar into the back side of the slow cooker insert; the food will help hold the collar in place during cooking and the collar will prevent the food from cooking unevenly.