Prep 1 hr
Cook 45 mins
Delicious. I make this each family get together, it is a bit time consuming to prepare but so special it's worth it. Note: can be prepared up to 24 hours in advance.
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1 ounce dried porcini mushrooms, rinsed
- 1⁄3 cup approx. butter
- 1 garlic clove, peeled, cut in half
- 3 leeks, white & pale green parts, sliced
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1 cup whipping cream, divided
- 3⁄4 cup milk
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 4 lbs potatoes, peeled, sliced thin
- In small saucepan bring stock to boil, add mushrooms. Remove from heat, let stand, covered 45 minutes.
- Drain mushrooms, remove stock. Squeeze mushrooms dry then chop.
- Meanwhile, generously grease 12 cup (3L) casserole or other shallow dish. Rub dish with cut sides of garlic. Mince garlic then scatter over base of dish.
- In very large skillet or shallow saucepan melt 1/3 cup butter over medium-low heat.
- Add leeks & rosemary; cook stirring occasionally 20 minutes or until tender. DO NOT BROWN.
- Add mushrooms, reserved stock, 3/4 cup of cream, milk, salt & pepper to skillet. Bring to simmer over medium-high heat.
- Add potatoes, cook covered over medium-low heat 15 minutes or until they soften; gently stir often to keep potatoes from sticking.
- Taste, adjust seasoning.
- Spread potato mixture in prepared dish. Drizzle remaining cream over top.
- If serving immediately cook, uncovered 45 minutes at 325°F.
- Do Ahead Tip: Let cool completely, refrigerate, covered up to 24 hours. Let stand 30 minutes before reheating. When ready to serve cook uncovered 45 minutes at 325°F.