1/2 Photos of Scalloped Potatoes With Heavy Cream and Cheese
2 hrs 40 mins
1 hr 10 mins
1 hr 30 mins
Queen Dragon Mom's Note:
Julia Child Rules!!! "Gratin Jurassien" Named for the Juras region in Switzerland. A mainly Francophone region in the Jura mountains that border France. Use more cheese if you want to, it won't hurt, especially on the top of the casserole. This is filling and rich and goes wonderfully with beef, pork, lamb, pretty much anything. It also freezes and reheats nicely. You can also saute pearl onions in butter and put them in amongst the potatoes and cheese. An afterthought: try to get waxy potatoes, like reds or golds, to make sure that the slices don't turn to mush when absorbing the cream. (and that should be emmenthal cheese, but I can't get it to correct. Sorry.)
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1First: Please read the introduction.
- 2Slice the potatoes into 1/8 inch slice.
- 3Place in bowl and cover with cold water.
- 4Let soak for at least an hour.
- 5Drain well and pat dry.
- 6Heat oven to 300°F.
- 7Using 1 T of the butter coat the bottom and sides of a 10 inch, 2" deep casserole.
- 8Arrange potatoes in layers, after each layer add cheese, pepper and small amount of butter.
- 9Repeat to use all the potatoes, finishing the top with cheese and the last of the butter.
- 10Heat the cream, VERY GENTLY, until butter begins to appear.
- 11Immediately pour the cream over the potato layers. It should come up the side of the pan about halfway, add milk if needed.
- 12Bake for 1 1/2 hours until top is lightly browned.
- 13The cream should have absorbed into the potatoes, which should be tender, not mushy.
- 14Remove from oven and let sit for 10 minutes, loosely covered.
Browse Our Top Swiss Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Scalloped Potatoes With Heavy Cream and Cheese
Serving Size: 1 (231 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 357.8
- Calories from Fat 242
- Total Fat 26.9 g
- Saturated Fat 16.8 g
- Cholesterol 91.1 mg
- Sodium 123.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 26.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.5 g
- Sugars 2.0 g
- Protein 4.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included: