Scalloped Potatoes With Caramelized Shallots
- Melt 3 tbsp of the butter in a large nonstick skillet over medium-low heat; add shallots. Cook, stiffing frequently, 25 to 30 minutes, or until golden and tender.
- Heat oven to 375°F; grease a 3-quart casserole with remaining 1 tbsp of the butter.
- Thinly slice peeled potatoes.
- Place potatoes in a large bowl with shallots, thyme, salt and pepper and toss to coat. Place potatoes in casserole.
- Heat cream in small saucepan until it just comes to a simmer. Pour hot cream over potato mixture. Bake 30 minutes.
- Sprinkle cheese over top and bake 20 more minutes or until potatoes are fork tender and top of casserole is brown and crusty.