Recipe by kendog690
This is a fantastic variation of the old flavorless scalloped potatoes. The ham, bacon, and scallions add a burst of flavor. It can be used as a main or side dish. I highly recommend you try this. You will not be disappointed
Top Review by jakey
Awesome! I always thought of scalloped potatoes as a side, but this makes a great meal. All the flavors really kick it up a notch. It is very adaptable too. Everyone loved it. I will definitely be making this again.
- 4 large russet potatoes, sliced thin (about 4 cups)
- 1⁄2 cup crispy crumbled bacon
- 1⁄2 cup cubed ham (I crisp mine in bacon grease)
- 1⁄2 cup chopped scallion
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk (cold)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper (more if you like more heat)
- 1 cup grated sharp cheddar cheese
- 1⁄2 cup grated pepper jack cheese
- Hungarian paprika (regular paprika is fine)
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix together the cheddar and pepper jack in a bowl. Set aside.
- In a small sauce pan, melt the butter and blend in flour with a whisk. Let it cook for a minute.
- Add the milk, salt, and cayenne and whisk to combine.
- Cook on low until a slow boil forms and the sauce thickens. Whisk frequently.
- Turn off heat(leave on same burner) and stir in 1 cup of cheese mixture.
- Put half of the potatoes in a greased 1 quart dish.
- Pour half of the cheese sauce over the potatoes.
- Top with half of the bacon, ham, and scallions.
- Repeat with second layer of potatoes, cheese sauce, bacon, ham, and scallions.
- Sprinkle with Hungarian Paprika and top with remaining ½ cup of cheese mixture.
- Bake uncovered for an hour on 350°F.