Prep 10 mins
Cook 55 mins
I was messing around with a recipe found here on 'zaar and came up with this version that my family really liked. I imagine you could bake this as well
- 4 cups potatoes, peeled, 1 1/2-inch dice
- 1⁄2 cup onion, diced
- salt, to taste
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk
- 4 ounces cream cheese
- 1 -2 pinch cayenne pepper
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1⁄4 cup seasoned bread crumbs
- Put the potatoes, onions, salt and milk into a cast iron skillet (any heavy skillet should work).
- Simmer covered for about 40 minutes or until you can easily poke with a fork. Be sure to stir or your milk will burn!
- Mix in cream cheese and cayenne in until incorporated.
- Sprinkle over the top with cheddar cheese and bread crumbs.
- Cover for 10-15 more minutes until the cheese in melted over the top.
This is great. The cream cheese makes it nice and creamy. This only took about 50 minutes. I diced my potatoes smaller and had to use onion flakes. I know I'll be making this many times. Thank you.