Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
- 1 cup leek, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup butter (1/2 stick) or 1⁄4 cup margarine (1/2 stick)
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups milk
- 8 cups sliced red potatoes, , unpeeled
- 2 cups jarlsberg cheese, shredded
- 3⁄4 cup breadcrumbs
- 1⁄4 cup butter or 1⁄4 cup margarine, melted
- In saucepan, cook leeks in 1/4 cup butter until tender.
- Stir in flour, salt and pepper.
- Gradually stir in milk.
- Cook, stirring constantly, until thickened.
- In 2-quart buttered baking dish, layer half of the potatoes, half of the leek sauce and half of the cheese.
- Repeat layers.
- Bake, covered, at 375°F for 45 minutes.
- Blend bread crumbs and 1/4 cup melted butter.
- Sprinkle around edge of casserole.
- Bake 15 minutes longer.
These are wonderful - I could eat just them and a salad as a meal. Yum Yum!
I had a huge hunk of Jarlsberg in my fridge and needed to do something with it, so after scouring the internet I found this recipe..AND BOY AM I GLAD I DID! Didn't have Leeks so I substituted onion , and used yukon gold potatoes (because thats what I had on hand). Followed all the other directions and received rave reviews from my dinner guests! These are by far the best scalloped potatoes that I have eaten. Served them with Ham ... Yummy! Thanks recipe nut for this excellent recipe!
Tasty recipe, I liked the additional of leeks. Thanks for sharing.