Prep 20 mins
Cook 40 mins
Scalloped Potatoes and Ham like mom used to make.
- 236.59 ml ham, cubes
- 4 potatoes, peeled and sliced
- 1 onion, sliced thin
- 29.58 ml cornstarch
- 473.18 ml milk
- 29.58 ml margarine
- 2.46 ml salt
- 1.23 ml pepper
- Layer the potatoes, ham and onions in a baking dish.
- Prepare a white sauce: In a medium saucepan stir milk into cornstarch while stirring with a whisk.
- Whisk until smooth.
- Add margarine, salt and pepper.
- Stirring constantly, bring to boil over medium heat; boil 1 minute.
- Pour white sauce over potatoes.
- Bake at 350F for 40 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
I loved the reamy sauce, but... my potatoes were still a bit hard even after cooking fifteen minutes past the given time. I was sure to slice them very thin. Maybe it's just me because everyone else seemed to have no problems. I'll try it again. I topped this dish with crumbled bacon and added cheese to each layer.
Very good, basic recipe. It's almost as easy as using the boxed kind, except for peeling and slicing the potatoes. The next time I make this, I would be tempted to add some garlic, and possibly some shredded cheese, or maybe some paprika for color. The sauce itself was very creamy, and the potatoes were tender. Thanks Leta for posting this old fashioned recipe!
This is a very tasty recipe and we enjoyed the flavor. The six servings though must be side dish servings as this would never make it as six main dish servings in my house. Nice simple recipe though. We were able to serve 3 with this size recipe.