Recipe by WI Cheesehead
A Bette Hagman recipe. Next time I would cut the milk in half, as it seemed to make the sauce too runny. But everyone said, "This is really good!"
- 5 potatoes (fist-sized)
- 5 -7 green onions, sliced thin
- salt & pepper, to taste
- 1⁄2 cup ham, diced (optional)
- 2 tablespoons margarine or 2 tablespoons butter
- 4 tablespoons cream soup (powdered, see Gluten Free Cream Soup Base (Powdered))
- 1⁄4 cup cold water
- 1 1⁄4 cups chicken stock
- 1 cup milk (I also have used something called MimicCreme that is a vegan sub. for dairy creams.) or 1 cup rice milk (I also have used something called MimicCreme that is a vegan sub. for dairy creams.) or 1 cup almond milk (I also have used something called MimicCreme that is a vegan sub. for dairy creams.)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 375°. Grease a 2 1/2-qt casserole.
- Peel and thinly slice potatoes and place in the casserole.
- Add the green onions and toss to mix, seasoning with salt and pepper. If using ham, add it in with the onions.
- Sauce: In a medium saucepan, place the margarine and the soup base, blended with the 1/4 C water. Add the chicken stock and bring to a boil over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally.
- This mixture will be as thick as canned cream soup. Add the milk and pour over the potatoes.
- Bake for 1 hour, or until the potatoes are tender.
- Au Gratin: Eliminate the ham, but add 1 C grated sharp cheddar cheese to the sauce before pouring it over the potatoes. If desired, top with 1/2 C buttered GF bread crumbs.