Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
Since I sometimes have to cook for just me, I've been on a search for recipes that make enough for just one or two people. So when I came across this one in the TOH 2002 Annual Recipes that was sent in to them by Edith Jennings of Prarie City, Iowa, I knew I had to try it.The time for peeling the potatoes has been included in the prep time. I guess if you wanted to speed up the time it takes to prepare this recipe, you could slightly cook the potatoes in the microwave or on the stove top. The addition of the French Fried Onions was my idea. Sumitted to " ZAAR " on October 21, 2009.
- 2 medium potatoes, 2 1/2 cups peeled, washed, and thinly sliced
- 29.58 ml butter or 29.58 ml margarine
- 29.58 ml all-purpose flour
- 236.59 ml milk
- 59.14 ml shredded cheddar cheese
- 2.46 ml salt
- 0 teapoon ground black pepper
- 1.23 ml Worcestershire sauce
- 59.14 ml French-fried onions (optional)
- paprika (optional)
- Place potatoes in a greased 1 quart baking dish, set aside.
- In a small pan, melt margarine and then add flour cook until the flour taste disappears ( About 3 to 4 minutes ).
- Add the milk a little at a time, bring to a boil then reduce heat and stir until slightly thickened.
- Add cheese,salt, pepper, and worcestershire sauce and stir until cheese is melted.
- Cool sauce slightly, pour over potatoes.
- Cover potatoes and bake for 25 minutes at 375 degrees, remove cover and top with french fried onion, and paprika.
- Bake for another 20 minutes or until potatoes are fork tender.
- Let " rest " for 10 minutes, so sauce will thicken.
Excellent recipe for two people. My husband loved it.
Excellent recipe. I increased the cheese to 1/2 cup and added a bit of fresh grated nutmeg and a dish of Tabasco. I left out the worchestershire sauce. I sliced 1/2 sweet onion. I layered 1/3 potatoes, 1/3 onion, 1/3 sauce and baked as directed. This was a quick and easy recipe and dh said it was the best scalloped potatoes dish.
Was good,easy to make and husband liked it.It's just the two of us. So it was nice to find a small recipe. Had enough for leftovers for husbands lunch.