Recipe by NELady
From The Best of Country Cooking Cookbook, c. 2003. With just hubby and I, it is far easier to prepare this smaller portion of scalloped potatoes! Cooking time is mostly unattended.
Top Review by FrenchBunny
I love scalloped potatoes and these were very yummy potatoes. Very quick to put together which is a bonus. I too added a little paremesan cheese to the sauce for a bit of cheese flavor. I totally forgot about the breadcrumbs, left them on the counter but they still turned out fantastic. I would definiteley be making these again. Thanks for sharing your receipe NELady.
- 4 1⁄2 teaspoons all-purpose flour
- 3⁄4 cup milk
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 dash pepper
- 2 medium baking potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1⁄2 cup onion, thinly sliced
- 1⁄2 cup soft breadcrumbs
- 1 tablespoon butter or 1 tablespoon margarine, melted
Directions See How It's Made
- In a saucepan, combine flour, milk, salt and pepper until smooth.
- Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1-2 minutes or until thickened.
- In a greased 1-qt baking dish, layer half of the potatoes, onion and white sauce.
- Repeat layers.
- Toss bread crumbs and melted butter; sprinkle over top.
- Cover and bake at 375 degrees Fahrenheit for 50 to 55 minutes or until potatoes are tender.