Prep 20 mins
Cook 2 hrs
These are absolutely heavenly scalloped potatoes. Definitely not on anyone's low-fat or low-carb diet, but for that occasional splurge they can't be beat.
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 2 cups half-and-half cream
- 1 large garlic clove, pureed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 -2 1⁄2 lbs boiling potatoes, sliced (6 to seven cups)
- 4 tablespoons swiss cheese, grated
- Pour 1 1/2 cups of the heavy cream and 1 1/2 cups of the half and half into a heavy 3-quart saucepan.
- Stir in the garlic, salt, pepper and the bay leaf.
- Slice the potatoes evenly 1/8 inch thick, dropping them into the cream as they are sliced.
- When the potatoes are all in the pot, add more cream if neessary to cover the potatoes by 1/2 inch.
- Bring to below the simmer and maintain at just below a simmer for an hour or ore, until the potato es are tender.
- Check frequently to be sure that are not bubbling, or sticking or scorching on the bottome of the pan.
- When tender add more seasoning as needed and turn them into a buttered 9x13 baking pan.
- Spread on the cheese.
- Bake on the middle rack of a 425 oven until bubbling and lightly browned on top. About 20 minutes.
- Be careful not to overbake as they will dry out or become mushy.
If I could give zero stars I would. This recipe was an utter disaster. Too much liquid. The potatoes were swimming in cream and putting them in the oven for 20 minutes did nothing to reduce the amount of liquid. What gives? are we supposed to disregard the cream the potatoes cooked in before putting them in the oven? Plus it takes F O R E V E R to cook the potatoes in the cream without simmering them. Over one hour. Not recommended. There has to be simpler and better scalloped potatoes recipe out there. AVOID.