Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
This dish is delicious alone or accompanied by other foods as a side dish. It's very easy and inexpensive to fix and the ingredients are ones almost anyone would have in the pantry. I use Jack cheese or cheddar. For a stronger cheese flavor I get sharp cheddar instead of adding more cheese. The onions are optional. I have family that won't eat anything if they see an onion visible so I mince it, then when this dish is baked it flavors it. They never complain and they love it when I fix this. I usually bake it between 45 minutes to an hour.
- 3 -4 large potatoes (sliced thin)
- 1 cup of grated cheese (jack, cheddar, your choice, or more)
- 1 can evaporated milk
- 1⁄2-1 onion (diced)
- 3 -4 tablespoons butter or 3 -4 tablespoons margarine
- salt (to taste)
- pepper (to taste)
- Place sliced potatoes into ovenproof dish or pan.
- Add diced onions over top.
- Sprinkle grated cheese over top of potato/onion mixture.
- Pour the can of evaporated milk into the same dish.
- Place sliced butter or margarine scattered over top.
- Sprinkle salt and pepper over top.
- Place a baking sheet on the oven floor in case of overflow.
- Bake in oven at 350 degrees fahrenheit for aproximately an hour.
- Potatoes will be done when the top is light golden brown, the cheese is melted, and the potatoes are tender.
This was one of the easiest recipes I have tried for au gratin potatoes. I used a large can of evaporated milk since the size of can wasn't mentioned and it worked out fine. Next time my family wants me to add more cheese. Thanks Dreamin1Kate
This was so easy and oh so good! The only thing I will do differently the next time is add the salt and pepper into the potatoes, not just on the top. I love lots of salt on potatoes, and it just didn't get through to all of them that way.
I didn't really care for this and my husband thought it was just ok so I gave it 2 stars for him. The recipe doesn't state what size can of Milk to use. I only had two 5oz cans so I used them both. When It was finished baking the sauce just looked like curdled milk to me and seemed to lack flavor. I think I could have easily doubled the cheese as well. With such great reviews I really thought this would turn out better but this just didn't work out for me. Thanks anyway!