Recipe by bcfdwife
This is the best potato and onion dish I've ever tried. I found the base recipe from allrecipes.com and doctored it up my way. I've even added cooked diced ham to this and it was outstanding! Enjoy! :o)
- 5 large potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced
- 3⁄4 cup onion, chopped
- 3 tablespoons butter or 3 tablespoons margarine
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 1 3⁄4 cups chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon bacon bits
- 1 -2 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tablespoon thyme
- 1⁄2 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
Directions See How It's Made
- In a greased 2 1/2 quart baking dish, layer potatoes and onion. (Layer ham also if you have decided to add it.)
- In a saucepan, melt the butter; stir in flour until smooth.
- Gradually add broth, mayo, parmesan, bacon bits, garlic, thyme, and 1/4 cup of the cheddar; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thick and bubbly.
- Pour over potatoes.
- Sprinkle with paprika and rest of cheddar.
- Cover and bake at 325 degrees for 2 hours or until tender.