Recipe by BarbaraK
Scalloped Potates and Ham with Cheese
Top Review by V. Shaw
The only recipe I use. I get compliments when people taste my potatoes for the 1st time. I do a few things differently...I cook the onion in the butter before adding flour and I layer the cheese on the potatoes instead of adding it to the mixture; I find it easier to spread. I always make extra because my family loves these left over.
- about 6 potato
- ham, sliced
Basic White Sauce
- 59.14 ml butter or 59.14 ml margarine
- 59.14 ml flour
- 59.14-118.29 ml onion, chopped
- 473.18 ml milk
- 473.18-709.77 ml cheese, grated
Directions See How It's Made
- Peel potatoes, I usually use about 6 for a 2 quart baking dish.
- Slice the ham.
- Make Basic White Sauce:Melt butter or margarine.Add flour and mix.Add chopped onions.Add milk and stir until mixture thickens.
- Add cheese to white sauce and stir until melted.
- In the meantime, slice potatoes.
- Place one layer of potatoes in a 2 quart baking dish.
- Top with ham slices.
- Add another layer of potatoes, another layer of ham slices and so on.
- Pour the cheese sauce over all.
- Cover and bake at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for one hour.
- Remove the cover and bake another 1/2 hour until cheese bubbles and top browns.