Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
Scalloped Potates and Ham with Cheese
- about 6 potato
- ham, sliced
Basic White Sauce
- 1⁄4 cup butter or 1⁄4 cup margarine
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 cup onion, chopped
- 2 cups milk
- 2 -3 cups cheese, grated
- Peel potatoes, I usually use about 6 for a 2 quart baking dish.
- Slice the ham.
- Make Basic White Sauce:Melt butter or margarine.Add flour and mix.Add chopped onions.Add milk and stir until mixture thickens.
- Add cheese to white sauce and stir until melted.
- In the meantime, slice potatoes.
- Place one layer of potatoes in a 2 quart baking dish.
- Top with ham slices.
- Add another layer of potatoes, another layer of ham slices and so on.
- Pour the cheese sauce over all.
- Cover and bake at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for one hour.
- Remove the cover and bake another 1/2 hour until cheese bubbles and top browns.
The only recipe I use. I get compliments when people taste my potatoes for the 1st time. I do a few things differently...I cook the onion in the butter before adding flour and I layer the cheese on the potatoes instead of adding it to the mixture; I find it easier to spread. I always make extra because my family loves these left over.
I made this tonight to use up some leftover Christmas ham and it was delicious. Everyone went back for seconds, which is always a good sign, especially when two of them are picky eaters. I didn't add the onion because of the picky eaters and used onion powder instead. I also added some dry mustard powder too. This one is a keeper. Thanks Barbara
LOVED this! I made it with three cans of sliced white potatoes, so the cooking time was a lot less. Was still amazing though.