Recipe by Johnsdeere
Once again Ree Drummond hits it out of the ballpark. This recipe is terrific and terrific for leftover holiday ham. Rich, creamy....just plain delish!! The only modification I made was that I added 1 Tbsp of garlic powder to the cream mixture for taste, feel free to add more. Definately give this one a try, you won't regret it.
Top Review by mama smurf
This was a very tasty dish! I followed the recipe as written only adding two small cloves of garlic. Made for Spring PAC 2013 and will be making it again. DH and I do have plenty for leftovers even after cutting the recipe down. Thank you for posting.
- 1360.77 g russet potatoes or 1360.77 g yukon gold potatoes, Washed Thoroughly
- 29.58 ml butter
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 709.77 ml ham, diced
- 354.88 ml half-and-half
- 354.88 ml heavy cream
- 59.14 ml flour
- black pepper
- 236.59 ml cheddar cheese, grated
- 236.59 ml monterey jack cheese, grated
- parsley, chopped (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter a large casserole dish.
- Heat butter in a large skillet. Add onions and cook for 1 to 2 minutes, or until they start to turn translucent. Add ham and cook for 3 to 4 minutes until thoroughly heated. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Combine half-and-half and cream in a microwave-safe container and nuke for a minute or so, until no longer cold. Whisk in flour and black pepper until totally combined. Set aside. (You may add salt, but cheese and ham are salty, so add sparingly.).
- Combine the two grated cheeses. Set aside.
- Using a mandoline or slicer, slice potatoes into 1/8-inch slices (very thin.) Layer 1/3 of the potato slices in the buttered casserole dish. Sprinkle on 1/3 of the ham/onion mixture, then 1/3 of the cheese, then pour on 1/3 of the cream mixture.
- Repeat this twice more, ending with a sprinkling of cheese and a pouring on of the rest of the cream mixture. Cover dish with foil and bake for 40 minutes. Remove the foil and bake for an additional 20 minutes at least, or until bubbly and hot.
- Cut into squares and serve. Sprinkle on chopped parsley if you'd like!