Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 3 cups milk
- 3 cups ham, cooked
- 1 large green pepper, chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- 5 cups potatoes, pared and sliced
- Melt butter in large sauce pan over low heat; blend in flour, salt, and pepper.
- Cook, stirring constantly, for about 1 minute. Remove from heat gradually stir in milk.
- Return to heat; cook until thickened and bubbly.
- Fold in ham, onion, green pepper and cheese. Pour over potatoes in a large bowl.
- Stir gently then move into a buttered 13X9-inch baking dish; cover with foil.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.
- Uncover and continue to bake for 1 hour.
- Let stand for 10 minutes before serving.
Excellent scalloped potato recipe. I used only 1/4 lb ham and think the recipe would not suffer one bit with out any ham at all. I am preparing the dish for the second time.
Wonderful, and easy to make! I also added cheese on top for the last 15 min -- turned out great!
I doubled this recipe for Christmas dinner 2000 and everyone came back for 2nd's and some even for 3rd's. Very easy to make. I increased the cooking time to 60 min's and put a extra cheese on top for the last 15 min. uncovered for a nice crust of baked cheese.