Recipe by tabasco0697
This is a great dish to use up left over ham or if you don't have left over ham then dice up a ham steak. It's nothing fancy but it will stick to your bones.
- 5 cups russet potatoes (thinly sliced but not paper thin)
- 2 cups ham (diced)
- 1⁄3 cup vidalia onion (finely diced)
- 3 3⁄4 cups whole milk
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour, plus
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon parsley flakes
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄4 teaspoon crushed rosemary
- 1⁄4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 6 tablespoons salted butter (divided)
Directions See How It's Made
- With 1 tablespoon butter grease a 13 x 9 inch pan. Preheat oven to 375.
- To make sauce melt the remaining 5 tablespoons butter in a medium sized sauce pan over medium low heat. Once melted add flour and all herbs/seasoning and stir until thick paste approximately 2-3 minutes. Add milk stirring with a whisk until mixed after each measured cup. Once completely mixed remove from heat and let stand while you assemble the casserole.
- You need to make two layers so starting with potatoes then add ham, then all the diced onion, then half the sauce. After you've poured half the sauce start over again with the potatoes then the ham and then the rest of the sauce.Cover and bake for 1 hour. Uncover and bake an additional 15 minutes or until the casserole starts browning and the sauce is bubbly.