Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
Adapted from Real Food Girl: Unmodified
Make and share this Scalloped Potatoes and Ham recipe from Food.com.
- Add sliced potatoes to well salted pot of water. Once it starts to boil, boil for three minutes. Do not overcook, drain well.
- In a skillet on medium heat, combine the olive oil and onions. Add salt and pepper to taste and cook for 4 - 5 minutes.
- Add the parsley, thyme, and ham and cook an additional 3 - 5 minutes then set aside in a bowl.
- Wipe skillet out with paper towel and melt the butter over medium heat.
- Add the flour and whisk to combine and the flour has turned a slight brown color.
- Slowly add the milk and whisk constantly. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Bring to a boil and then turn heat down to low and whisk for another 2 - 3 minutes.
- Add the ham and onion mixture to the skillet. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Cook an additional 2 minutes.
- Butter a 2 quart casserole dish.
- Add a spoonful of sauce and spread on the bottom of the casserole dish.
- Place a layer of potatoes on top of the sauce.
- Continue alternating sauce and potatoes.
- Sprinkle the gruyere cheese on top and then cover with foil.
- Bake at 400 degrees for 35 - 55 minutes.
- Remove foil and bake another 10 minutes to brown the cheese.
We just loved this recipe! It is worth 5 stars. Made for My Three Chefs 2013