Recipe by Anna P.
I love Yukon potatoes, a great side dish, I found this recipe in one of my favorite magazines, Traditional and scrumptious, this crusty-topped, layered potato favourite never goes out of style. Enjoy. :-)
- 6 yukon gold potatoes
- 1 small onion, sliced
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme or 1⁄2 teaspoon marjoram
- 2 1⁄2 cups milk
Directions See How It's Made
- Sauce: In saucepan, melt butter over medium heat.
- Add flour,salt,pepper and thyme; cook, stirring,for 1 minute.
- Gradually whisk in milk; cook, whisking constantly, for 5 to 8 minutes or until boiling and thickened.
- Set aside.
- Peel and thinly slice potatoes.
- Layer one-third in greased 8-inch (2L) square glass baking dish or casserole; spread half of the onions over top.
- Repeat layers.
- Arrange remaining potatoes over top.
- Pour sauce over top.
- Cover and bake in 350F oven for 1 hour.
- Uncover and bake for 30 minutes longer or until lightly browned and potatoes are tender.
- Let stand for 5 minutes before serving.