1/1 Photo of Scalloped Potatoes
1 hr 5 mins
From America's Test Kitchen: "The quickest way to slice the potatoes is in a food processor fitted with an 1/8-inch slicing blade. If the potatoes are too long to fit into the feed tube, halve them crosswise and put them in the feed tube cut-side down so that they sit on a flat surface. If the potato slices discolor as they sit, put them in a bowl and cover with the cream and chicken broth. If you like, use Parmesan instead of cheddar."
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 medium onion, minced (about 1 cup)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced or pressed through garlic press (about 2 teaspoons)
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme leave, chopped
- 1 1/4 teaspoons table salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 1/2 lbs russet potatoes, peeled and sliced 1/8-inch thick (about 5 medium)
- 1 cup low sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 2 bay leaves
- 4 ounces cheddar cheese, shredded (1 cup)
- 1Adjust oven rack to middle position; heat oven to 425 degrees.
- 2Melt butter in large Dutch oven over medium-high heat until foaming subsides.
- 3Add onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until soft and lightly browned, about 4 minutes.
- 4Add garlic, thyme, salt, and pepper; cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- 5Add potatoes, chicken broth, cream, and bay leaves and bring to simmer.
- 6Cover, reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer until potatoes are tender (paring knife can easily be slipped into and out of potato slice), about 15 minutes; discard bay leaves.
- 7Transfer mixture to 8-inch-square baking dish (or other 1 1/2-quart gratin dish) and press to an even layer; sprinkle evenly with cheese.
- 8Bake until cream is bubbling around edges and top is golden brown, about 15 minutes.
- 9Cool 10 minutes before serving.
- 10To Make Ahead:
- 11Once the scalloped potatoes have been transferred to the baking dish and pressed into an even layer, they can be wrapped in plastic wrap and refrigerated for up to 24 hours.
- 12When ready to bake, add the cheese, cover with foil, and bake in a 400-degree oven until the mixture is hot and bubbling, about 45 minutes.
- 13Remove the foil and cook until the cheddar begins to brown, about 30 minutes longer.
- 14Let cool for 10 minutes before serving.
Browse Our Top < 4 Hours Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All < 4 Hours Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Scalloped Potatoes
Serving Size: 1 (313 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 613.3
- Calories from Fat 340
- Total Fat 37.8 g
- Saturated Fat 23.5 g
- Cholesterol 126.5 mg
- Sodium 962.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 55.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.7 g
- Sugars 3.7 g
- Protein 15.6 g