Prep 30 mins
Cook 2 hrs
A delightful moist poatatoe dish which compliments all main dishes but goes particularly well with either chiken or grilled fish. The potatoes taste sweet and pleasantly creamy. One of our most popular dishes
- 6 1⁄2 lbs floury potatoes, thinly sliced
- 9 tablespoons butter
- 9 tablespoons flour
- 3 tablespoons peppadew peppers, finely minced (optional)
- 4 teaspoons sage
- 3 cups milk
- 1 cup full cream
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon paprika
- Heat oven to 220°c.
- Peel, par and thinly slice the potatoes.
- Grease the baking dish well.
- Melt and mix the butter and flour mixture.
- Add the minced peppers. (optional).
- Layer the potatoes in the dish,
- Dredge each layer with the pepper, flour and butter mixture.
- Sprinkle a teaspoon of sage on each layer.
- Heat the cream and milk adding the nutmeg and paprika.
- Pour the milk over the potatoes.
- Bake them for 2 hours ~ May be covered for the first 30mins.
Excellent side. I accidentally ended with too much cream and to help use some of it I reversed at amounts of milk and cream in this recipe. Oh my. was it good! I have to say that you should really watch this, I made the full recipe and it was fully cooked with very tender potatoes in about half the stated time even with me lowering the oven to 350 after the first 30 mins. Made for PAC, Fall 2012
Great potato dish. Loved the addition of sage. Did not use the peppers (have never seen a peppadew in this area). Great with pork chops. Made for Fall 2012 PAC game.