Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
This is a delicious version of scalloped potatoes because of the bread crumb topping.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk
- salt and pepper
- 4 -6 large potatoes
- 1 large onion
- melted butter
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Melt 2 tbsp butter on medium heat.
- Stir in 1 tbsp flour.
- Add the milk in slowly, constantly stirring.
- Stir until it's all well blended and a little bit thickened.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Grease a baking dish.
- Slice potatoes very thin and chop onions finely too.
- Alternate layers of onion and potato.
- Pour sauce over everything.
- Cover with bread crumbs.
- Sprinkle melted butter over it all.
- Bake covered for 1 hour.
- Uncover and bake for 15 minutes more.
Fearing that this recipe might be just a tad on the bland side, I used crushed red pepper instead of regular pepper and well-seasoned breadcrumbs on top. Toward the very end of cooking, I broiled the dish for just a few minutes to make the top a little bit crispy. Served them with freshly grated Parmesan cheese on the table to sprinkle on top. First-class potatoes.
This recipe was mmmmmmmmmm yummy....very creamy texture and not bland at all...I used garlic powder and parsley flakes along with Italian seasoned bread crumbs...very tasty...very good....I also served this with Italian dressing marinated grilled pork chops.
Great ideas, Millie. Thanks! I've tried Italian seasoned bread crumbs before with this recipe , but I' ve never added red pepper flakes. I think I'll try that next time! The other thing you can do with this recipe is to chop up ham or peameal bacon into it. Delicious!