Prep 20 mins
Cook 35 mins
This is a recipe from "The Best of Susan" series of recipes.
- 2 tablespoons parsley, snipped
- 1 1⁄2 cups onions, thinly sliced
- 4 1⁄2 cups potatoes, thinly sliced
- 3 teaspoons salt, divided
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 7 teaspoons flour
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄8 teaspoon paprika
- 1 3⁄4 cups milk
- Start heating oven to 400°F.
- Bring 1" water to boil in a covered saucepan. Grease 1 1/2 quart casserole.
- To the boiling water, add onions, potatoes, 2 tsp salt; boil covered for 5 minutes. Drain.
- Meanwhile, in double boiler or skillet, over very low heat, melt butter. Stir in flour, 1 tsp salt, pepper, paprika, then milk. Cook stirring constantly until smooth and thickened,.
- In casserole, arrange one third of potatoes and onions, sprinkle with one half of the parsley; pour on one third of the sauce. Repeat with another third of potatoes and onions, rest of the parsley, and one half of the remaining sauce. Now add the rest of the potatoes and onions, and sauce.
- Bake uncovered, 35 minutes or until tender and browned.
- Makes 4 or 5 servings.
PAC fall 2008 This turned out very good! I was nervous about boilng poraroes in only 1" water so I did add more as it seemed like I would burn the pan before the taters were cooked. I had never used paprika in my scallops before and I liked it. I reduced the salt use to 1 tsp. as I very rarely use salt for anything. (medical) Will do this often. I followed directions exact after that. I served this with a pot roast and green beans. Dh who is not a potatoes eater except sometimes fries liked these. He even said he would eat these again! Thnk you for this recipe. Simple to make with ingredients on hand and a suprise of paprika make it delightful.