Prep 20 mins
Cook 40 mins
These scalloped potoes are the god of comfort food!
- 1 teaspoon unsalted butter
- 4 cups heavy cream
- 2 teaspoons salt, divided
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 3 -3 1⁄4 lbs idaho potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 8 ounces swiss cheese, grated
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Lightly grease a 2-quart baking dish with the butter and set aside.
- Place the cream in a large saucepan and bring to a simmer over medium-high heat. Add 1 teaspoon of the salt and the pepper, and stir well. Add the potatoes, adding more cream if necessary to completely cover the potatoes. Lower the heat to medium-low and simmer until the potatoes are barely fork tender, about 10 to 12 minutes. Remove from the heat.
- With a large spoon, transfer 1/3 of the potatoes with some of the cream to the prepared dish, forming an even layer on the bottom. Top with 1/3 of the cheese, and continue layering the potatoes and cheese, ending with cheese on top. Place on a baking sheet and roast until golden brown and bubbly, about 30 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and let sit for 5 minutes. Serve hot.