Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 medium onion, minced
- 2 medium garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme leave, chopped
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons table salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 1⁄2 lbs russet potatoes, peeled and sliced 1/8-inch thick or 5 medium russet potatoes
- 1 cup low sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 4 ounces cheddar cheese or 1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- Adjust oven rack to middle position; heat oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Melt unsalted butter in large Dutch oven over medium-high heat.
- Add onion and cook, stirring occasionally, about 4 minutes.
- Add garlic, thyme, salt, and pepper; cook about 30 seconds.
- Add potatoes, chicken broth, cream, and bring to simmer.
- Cover, reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer until potatoes are almost tender, about 10 minutes.
- Transfer mixture to an 8-inch-square baking dish.
- Sprinkle evenly with grated cheddar cheese.
- Bake until cream is bubbling around edges and top is golden brown, about 15 minutes.
- Cool 10 minutes before serving.