Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 20 mins
This recipe is from "The Mississippi Cookbook." Recipe submitted by Sandra L. Musgrove of Laurel, MS.
- Arrange layers of thinly sliced or coarsely grated raw potatoes in greased 2-quart baking dish.
- Sprinkle each layer with salt, pepper, and minced onion.
- Dot with butter.
- Make a white sauce with the last 5 ingredients: melt 2 tablespoons butter over low heat in a heavy saucepan. Blend in 2 tablespoons flour and seasonings. Cook over low heat, stirring until mixture is smooth and bubbly. Remove from heat. Stir in milk, bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Boil 1 minute.
- Pour white sauce over potatoes.
- Bake uncovered at 350 degrees about 1 hour and 20 minutes.
- Sprinkle cheese over top and return to oven until cheese is melted.
I loved these! Very easy to make and the sauce was delicious-not too heavy or cheesy. The only change I might make next time is to add more milk to make more sauce. I greased the casserole dish and it still stuck a little and having more sauce would probably help prevent that.