1/3 Photos of Scalloped Potatoes
1 hr 15 mins
I'm always asked to fix my scalloped potatoes for any family dinner. Easy to make any time of the year. Omit onion if you must or do what I do - make one pan with onion and one without. The one with is always gone before the other.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Place washed potatoes in large pot of water.
- 2Bring to boil with skins on.
- 3Cook just until fork tender.
- 4Drain and let cool to handle.
- 5Grease 9x13 casserole pan.
- 6Set aside.
- 7Prepare basic white sauce by melting butter, stir in flour, salt& pepper; cook for 2-3 minutes stirring constantly.
- 8Slowly add milk; continue stirring constantly.
- 9Add 1/2 pound of cubed Velveeta cheese to milk mixture; reduce heat and stir to melt cheese.
- 10Remove from heat.
- 11Sauce should be fairly thick but not solid.
- 12Add additional milk if too thick.
- 13Peel skins from potatoes and slice.
- 14Arrange layer of one half of the potatoes in casserole pan; sprinkle onions over potato.
- 16Arrange slices of cheese over onions and repeat with remaining potato and onions.
- 17Top with remaining balance of sliced cheese.
- 18Salt and pepper to taste (lightly).
- 19Pour cheesy white sauce over the potato, onion and cheese mixture.
- 20Cover with aluminum foil and bake in 350ºF oven for 30-40 minutes until sauce is bubbly and top is golden brown.
Browse Our Top Potato Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Scalloped Potatoes
Serving Size: 1 (385 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 463.0
- Calories from Fat 195
- Total Fat 21.6 g
- Saturated Fat 13.8 g
- Cholesterol 72.8 mg
- Sodium 945.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 51.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.0 g
- Sugars 6.8 g
- Protein 17.0 g