I'm always asked to fix my scalloped potatoes for any family dinner. Easy to make any time of the year. Omit onion if you must or do what I do - make one pan with onion and one without. The one with is always gone before the other.
- Place washed potatoes in large pot of water.
- Bring to boil with skins on.
- Cook just until fork tender.
- Drain and let cool to handle.
- Grease 9x13 casserole pan.
- Set aside.
- Prepare basic white sauce by melting butter, stir in flour, salt& pepper; cook for 2-3 minutes stirring constantly.
- Slowly add milk; continue stirring constantly.
- Add 1/2 pound of cubed Velveeta cheese to milk mixture; reduce heat and stir to melt cheese.
- Remove from heat.
- Sauce should be fairly thick but not solid.
- Add additional milk if too thick.
- Peel skins from potatoes and slice.
- Arrange layer of one half of the potatoes in casserole pan; sprinkle onions over potato.
- Arrange slices of cheese over onions and repeat with remaining potato and onions.
- Top with remaining balance of sliced cheese.
- Salt and pepper to taste (lightly).
- Pour cheesy white sauce over the potato, onion and cheese mixture.
- Cover with aluminum foil and bake in 350ºF oven for 30-40 minutes until sauce is bubbly and top is golden brown.