Prep 45 mins
Cook 30 mins
I'm always asked to fix my scalloped potatoes for any family dinner. Easy to make any time of the year. Omit onion if you must or do what I do - make one pan with onion and one without. The one with is always gone before the other.
- 8 medium russet potatoes
- 1 yellow onion, coarsely chopped
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 4 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 cups milk
- 1 lb Velveeta cheese, cubed and sliced (*)
- salt and pepper
- 1 teaspoon prepared yellow mustard
- Place washed potatoes in large pot of water.
- Bring to boil with skins on.
- Cook just until fork tender.
- Drain and let cool to handle.
- Grease 9x13 casserole pan.
- Set aside.
- Prepare basic white sauce by melting butter, stir in flour, salt& pepper; cook for 2-3 minutes stirring constantly.
- Slowly add milk; continue stirring constantly.
- Add 1/2 pound of cubed Velveeta cheese to milk mixture; reduce heat and stir to melt cheese.
- Remove from heat.
- Sauce should be fairly thick but not solid.
- Add additional milk if too thick.
- Peel skins from potatoes and slice.
- Arrange layer of one half of the potatoes in casserole pan; sprinkle onions over potato.
- Arrange slices of cheese over onions and repeat with remaining potato and onions.
- Top with remaining balance of sliced cheese.
- Salt and pepper to taste (lightly).
- Pour cheesy white sauce over the potato, onion and cheese mixture.
- Cover with aluminum foil and bake in 350ºF oven for 30-40 minutes until sauce is bubbly and top is golden brown.
This is the one! Throw all the other recipes out. It is the best, the entire family is looking at me differently since I made this.
These are so delicious! I didn't have time to boil the potatoes, wanted to pop this in the oven before going to a soccer game, so I microwaved them to the par-cooked stage, left peels on, sliced thin and did the rest as directed. These were great! Thanks for posting CindiJ I will make this again! Made for 2009 Spring PAC
I can see why you are asaked to bring this dish. They are absolutley delicious. My husband loves Velveeta so he really liked these creamy cheesy potatoes. Thanks CindiJ. Bullwinkle.