Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is a very tasty recipe and different. You could serve it with some sort of meat if you wish, but we never do, we are always totally satisfied just with this and a salad.
- 2 ready-made pie crusts (or your own two crust pie crust recipe, prepared)
- 5 medium potatoes
- 1⁄3 cup butter
- 1⁄2 cup thinly sliced green onion
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dry mustard
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups half-and-half or 1 1⁄2 cups whole milk
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- Heat oven to 375*F.
- Peel potatoes.
- Thinly slice them to make 4 cups.
- Cover with water.
- Melt butter, saute onions in this.
- Stir in salt, pepper, dry mustard, and flour until blended.
- Stir in half and half or milk and cook, stirring constantly, over medium heat until thickened.
- Stir and boil one minute.
- Remove from heat.
- Line a 9 inch pie tin with paastry.
- Drain potatoes.
- Pat dry.
- Using 1/3 each, layer potatoes, cheese and sauce in crust.
- Repeat layers twice.
- Cover with top crust.
- Flue edge and vent top.
- Glaze with a little milk or beaten egg yolk if desired.
- Cover edge with foil.
- Bake 25 minutes.
- Remove foil and bake 30 to 35 minutes longer.
This is a super recipe! I am making it for the second time tonight and can't wait for dinner.
Really good potatoe pie Marie! DH loved it. Made up very nice. I fellowed recipe as it called but changed the milk alittle. I used 1c. half- half milk with 1/2c whipping milk. I like the richer flavor of whipping cream. Thanks for sharing your recipe!