Recipe by diner524
I found this recipe on the food network site and it is by Tyler Florence. It was from the "Christmas made easy" episode. Sounds really good and received high ratings from the reviewers. Note: I usually find that I need to cook my potatoes for an hour or more, but wrote his specific directions.
Top Review by threeovens
This was very tasty, but I would cut down on the thyme (ok I admit I don't really like it and always use 1/2 of whatever the recipe says). I also cheated a little by pre-cooking the potatoes for about 10 minutes, before slicing, to cut down on the cooking time in the oven.
- 1 1⁄2 cups heavy cream
- 1 sprig fresh thyme
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- butter (to use to grease dish)
- 2 lbs russet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/8-inch thick slices
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 cup parmesan cheese, grated (plus more for broiling)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- In a saucepan, heat up the cream with a sprig of thyme, chopped garlic and nutmeg.
- While cream is heating up, butter a casserole dish. Place a layer of potato in an overlapping pattern and season with salt and pepper. Remove cream from heat, then pour a little over the potatoes. Top with some grated Parmesan. Make 2 more layers. Bake, uncovered, for 45 minutes. Sprinkle some more Parmesan and broil until cheese browns, about 5 minutes.