Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 5 mins
This recipe uses sweet potatoes and white potatoes. They are great together!
- 2 large russet potatoes, peeled
- 2 large sweet potatoes, peeled
- 1⁄2 cup thinly sliced onion
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 1⁄2 cups fat-free half-and-half, can use milk, evap milk
- 3 tablespoons butter, cut up
- Preheat oven to 375.
- Lightly grease a casserole dish; set aside.
- Thinly slice all the potatoes (about 1/4" thick or less).
- In a small bowl, mix together the flour, thyme, salt and pepper; set aside.
- Spread the slices of one of the russet potatoes in the prepared casserole dish.
- Spread the slices of one of the sweet potatoes on top of the russet slices.
- Spread the onion slices over the sweet potato slices.
- Evenly sprinkle with HALF of the seasoned flour mixture.
- Evenly sprinkle with HALF of the cheese.
- Spread remaining russet slices over top, followed by the remaining sweet potato slices.
- Evenly sprinkle with remaining seasoned flour mixture and remaining cheese.
- Pour 1 1/2 cups ff half and half over everything.
- Dot with butter.
- Cover with nonstick foil and bake at 375 for 45 minutes.
- Uncover after 45 minutes and continue to bake at 375 for another 20-30 or until as browned as you like it.