Recipe by Whisper
This recipe came from my MIL. It was always served at special family meals like Thanksgiving and Christmas. It's very easy to make, and so delicious! I hope you enjoy it as much as we do.
- 3 lbs of small boiling onions
- 1⁄4 lb premium saltine crackers, 1 pack
- 1⁄4 lb butter
- salt and pepper
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk (approximately)
Directions See How It's Made
- Boil the onions for about 10-15 minutes; drain.
- In a 2 qt casserole, layer half the onions, half the crushed saltines, salt and pepper to taste, and half the butter, cut into chunks and dotted over the top.
- Repeat the layers.
- Cover with milk, just enough that it comes to the top layer of onions but not over the top of them.
- Bake uncovered at 350 degrees for about 20 minutes until browned.