Prep 45 mins
Cook 3 hrs
This was a recipe from a close friend of mine who is a gourmet chef. I altered it because I found it bland and added cheese and bacon. I will NEVER tell him I altered his recipe! I served this for Christmas Eve and recieved RAVE reviews. Normally my aunt, who attended culinary school, brings the potatoes, but its my job from now on!
- 11 potatoes (rule of thumb, about 1 potato or person)
- 3⁄4 cup crumbled bacon
- 1 -2 cup shredded mild cheddar cheese
- 3⁄4 cup parmesan cheese
- 1 quart heavy cream
- 1 dash nutmeg
- 1 dash salt
- 1 dash pepper
- We have an excellent potato slicer that makes them very thin and even. If you don't have one, try to make them about the same thickness.
- I was serving 11, so I sliced 11 potatoes and began --
- Start out by oiling a pan (for my portion I used an 11"x9" pan).
- Sprinkle a small amount of nutmeg on the oiled pan.
- Start layering potato slices to cover bottom.
- Sprinkle lightly with salt, pepper and Parmesan cheese.
- Cover thinly with cream. I do two layers of this combination and then crumble bacon and a sprinkle of cheddar cheese. (To get wonderful crumbly bacon, I bake a pound on a cookie sheet and whatever I don't use I ziplock up and store in the freezer.)
- I then repeat the potato/salt/pepper/Parmesan/cream several more times.
- By the fifth or sixth layer I repeat with crumbled bacon and cheddar cheese.
- I do one or two layers as normal and top it off with all leftover cream (obviously smaller portions, less cream.
- If you run out of cream, add milk and top it all off with a little Parmesan cheese.
- I bake it for 3-3.5 hours at 250 degrees. It is sooo delicious!