Recipe by Mareesme
I received this recipe from my cousin Jeff at least 20 years ago and "tweaked" it a bit over the years. My family and friends always request it for special dinners. It's a wonderful side dish with roast beef, pork and poultry. (I have made this with half the quantities for less than 8 people.)
Top Review by buzzsau
I was so excited to fix this because I knew it would be wonderful! I fixed it for a side dish at dinner today for my sister and her husband and it was a hit! It was so good and so rich! I will definitely keep this in mind when I need to bring a wonderful side dish somewhere! This was fantastic! Thanks for sharing with everyone!
- 2 lbs button mushrooms
- 1 cup butter
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 cups monterey jack cheese, grated
Directions See How It's Made
- Wipe whole mushrooms with damp paper towels to clean, Cut off stem ends and then in half, reserving 8 whole mushroom caps for garnish.
- Saute mushrooms in butter over medium heat until just tender.
- Add cream and seasonings.
- Continue to cook until liquid is 3/4 absorbed, stirring as needed. Adjust seasonings if desired.
- Scoop into a 2 quart casserole. Cover mixture with shredded cheese and garnish with reserved whole mushroom caps.
- Bake uncovered at 400 dg until cheese is melted and lightly browned, about 10 minutes.
- (I make this the day before a gathering and warm it up with cover on the next day in a microwave or in the oven at a low temperature.).