Recipe by dicentra
This is from 365 One Dish Meals
Top Review by Chef MB
This is an excellent dish. And when you don't have a leek, feel free to chop up an onion in its place. The first couple of times I made this, I had trouble with dry spots of flour at the end. Now, I just combine the flour and milk together in a jar, pour a little between layers and the rest over the top, and no more bits of dry flour.
- 6 cups russet potatoes, peeled and sliced
- 1 large leek, washed and chopped
- 1 (2 ounce) jarsliced pimientos, drained
- 4 1⁄2 tablespoons flour
- 12 ounces ham, cooked and sliced
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 3⁄4 cups milk
- 2 tablespoons butter
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Arrange one third of potatoes in a greeased 2.5 quart casserole dish. Sprinkle with a third of the leeks and pimientos, then 1 1/2 tablespoons flour. Add a layer of half the ham slices.
- Add half of remaining potatoes, leeks and pimientos. Top with remaining ham slices and 1 1/2 tablespoons flour.
- Top with a final layer of potato slices, sprinkle with remaining flour, leeks, pimientos and salt and pepper.
- Pour milk over all. Dot with butter.
- Cover and bake 35 minutes. Uncover and bake 30 minutes longer, or until potatoes are tender and liquid is reduced to desired consitency.
- Let stand 5 minutes before serving.