Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
Delicious breakfast casserole dish. Found this recipe in a book called Favorite All Time Recipes...Grandmas casseroles. This is my and hubbies favorite breakfast dish. The bacon can be substituted with Turkey bacon or sausage.
- 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons margarine
- 1⁄4 cup chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk
- 1⁄2 cup shredded swiss cheese
- 1⁄2 cup shredded American cheese
- 6 hard-boiled eggs, sliced
- 12 slices crisp bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 1 1⁄2 cups packaged fried onions
- Preheat oven to 350 deg. F.
- Melt butter in medium skillet over medium heat. Add chopped onion; saute until tender. Whisk in flour until thoroughly combined. Add milk; continue stirring until thick. Add cheeses; stir until melted.
- Place 1/2 of eggs in bottom of small baking dish; pour 1/2 of cheese mixture over eggs.
- Sprinkle with 1/2 of bacon and 1/2 of fried onions. Repeat layers.
- Bake uncovered 15 to 20 minutes or until heated through.
My DH takes a lot of pride participating in the RZ rating proc. He tasted this dish, savored it, tasted it again & said "Já! Mjög gott! Fimm stjörnur!" (Yes! Very good! 5 stars!). This is the best breakfast casserole I've ever tasted & came together easily. I try to stay true to the "bare bones" of a new recipe, but admit I tweaked it just a bit. I added 2 tbsp lemon juice to the roux + 1 tsp lemon pepper seasoning salt & it had a distinct hollandaise flavor TDF. It would be so good in a frittata on top of a crisp potato hash. Loved it so much! Thx.
This was very good and tasty. I made it up the night before and baked the next day. Worked out very well. Thanks.
Sooooo yummy. Only thing I did different was add hash browns to casserole