Recipe by mewmew
Delicious breakfast casserole dish. Found this recipe in a book called Favorite All Time Recipes...Grandmas casseroles. This is my and hubbies favorite breakfast dish. The bacon can be substituted with Turkey bacon or sausage.
Top Review by twissis
My DH takes a lot of pride participating in the RZ rating proc. He tasted this dish, savored it, tasted it again & said "Já! Mjög gott! Fimm stjörnur!" (Yes! Very good! 5 stars!). This is the best breakfast casserole I've ever tasted & came together easily. I try to stay true to the "bare bones" of a new recipe, but admit I tweaked it just a bit. I added 2 tbsp lemon juice to the roux + 1 tsp lemon pepper seasoning salt & it had a distinct hollandaise flavor TDF. It would be so good in a frittata on top of a crisp potato hash. Loved it so much! Thx.
- 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons margarine
- 1⁄4 cup chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk
- 1⁄2 cup shredded swiss cheese
- 1⁄2 cup shredded American cheese
- 6 hard-boiled eggs, sliced
- 12 slices crisp bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 1 1⁄2 cups packaged fried onions
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 deg. F.
- Melt butter in medium skillet over medium heat. Add chopped onion; saute until tender. Whisk in flour until thoroughly combined. Add milk; continue stirring until thick. Add cheeses; stir until melted.
- Place 1/2 of eggs in bottom of small baking dish; pour 1/2 of cheese mixture over eggs.
- Sprinkle with 1/2 of bacon and 1/2 of fried onions. Repeat layers.
- Bake uncovered 15 to 20 minutes or until heated through.