Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
A wonderful, delicious side dish of eggplant made even better with fresh tomatoes. Absolutely fantastic! Even better as leftovers. Since eggplant does not have to be fried first, this goes together real quick.
- 1 medium eggplant, cut in 1/2 inch slices
- 2 large tomatoes, sliced (can use more if needed to cover)
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 minced garlic cloves
- 3⁄4 cup butter, melted and divided
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons fresh basil, chopped (or 1/2 t dried basil)
- 8 ounces shredded mozzarella cheese
- 2 -3 slices Italian bread, toasted and made into crumbs
- 2 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Arrange eggplant in bottom of 9x13 glass baking dish.
- Top with tomatoes, onion and garlic.
- Drizzle 1/2 c butter over entire casserole, then sprinkle with basil, garlic salt and black pepper.
- Cover with foil and bake for 20 minutes.
- Remove from oven and top with mozzarella cheese.
- Toss crumbs with remaining melted butter and spread over casserole, then top with Parmesan cheese.
- Bake uncovered for 10 minutes more.
- Note: If you use a metal pan, increase oven heat to 450 degrees.
- Also, be sure to use good fresh tomatoes for best results.
This dish was a big hit. To suplement it I made some pasta with olive oil and garlic with a bowl of pasta sauce on the side. I brought the fat content down by using low-fat mozzarella and Smart Balance spread instead of butter. I will surely make this again!
this recipe is soooo good. i decided to make it one night to use up some leftover farmer's market finds and it was gone in seconds! this goes in my permanent collection.