Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
Beloved holiday corn dish.
- 1⁄4 cup chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 dash pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon paprika
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dry mustard
- 3⁄4 cup milk
- 1 (14 ounce) can whole kernel corn, drained
- 1 egg, slightly beaten
- 1 (8 ounce) box saltine crackers (will not use all of them and you will need to butter the tops)
- Heat oven to 350°F
- Sauté onion in butter until golden.
- Blend in flour and seasonings. cook until bubbly. remove from heat.
- Gradually add milk, bring to boil. boil 1 minute stirring constantly.
- Remove from heat & add corn & egg.
- Pour into 1 quart baking dish.
- Top with buttered cracker crumbs. (I butter enough whole crackers to cover the top of the dish then break them up and sprinkle on top).
- Bake 20 to 30 minutes.
This was a great and easy recipe to make, it was very delicious! Thanks
Thanks for sharing this recipe with us. We enjoyed it so much when you made it for us last Thanksgiving (sharing a family tradition of yours with us) that we decided to keep it on our menu every year. I doubled the recipe and as I put in that 2nd teaspoon of salt I thought "Hmm that is a lot of salt". It was. I think next time I would use no more than 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon salt for a doubled recipe (maybe put in 1/4 tsp, taste and then add more if needed). Over all though we loved it!
I used Nibblets corn and was very please with the results. Very tastey recipe, very easy to make and a real croud pleaser! Thanks for sharing!