Prep 1 hr 30 mins
Cook 35 mins
This is another of my Mom's classic recipes. I have no idea where she got it but it is the ultimate comfort food for me! You can also add some frozen peas to this to make it a one-dish meal.
- 1 (4 lb) roasting chickens
- 2 cups shell macaroni
- 8 ounces shredded Velveeta cheese
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can cream of chicken soup
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 1⁄2 cup melted margarine
- 2 -3 cups fresh breadcrumbs
- Boil the chicken and shred meat off of bones (I always do this ahead of time).
- Cook and drain macaroni shells.
- In a large bowl combine broth and soup and mix flour into that mixture.
- Add cooked macaroni, shredded chicken, cheese and seasonings to broth mixture and pour into a 9 x 13" pan.
- Process 2-3 slices of white bread in a blender or food processor on crumb mode and mix with margarine. Sprinkle crumb mixture over the top of the casserole.
- Bake at 325 degrees F for 30-35 minutes, until top is browned and cheese is melted.
- *NOTE* I do not recommend using dried breadcrumbs as they make the dish too salty.