Recipe by loof
From the Junior League of North Harris County TX - this is terrific!
Top Review by gertc96
This was so good. It had a wonderful flavor. I did have to use about 2 Tbs of flour to make my sauce thicker and I didn't use the eggs because I was out. The pepper gave this asparagus a wonderful added kick. Thank you so much for sharing. Made for Photo Tag.
- 1 lb fresh asparagus
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1 cup milk
- 2 hard-boiled eggs, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1⁄4 cup breadcrumbs
- 1⁄4 cup shredded swiss cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Rinse and clean asparagus, discarding tough ends and removing scales. Boil in salted water for 10 minutes, until tender-crisp. Drain on paper towels.
- Heat 1 tablespoon butter in a saucepan until melted. Add flour and cook for 1 minute, stirring constantly. Gradually add milk and cook, stirring constantly, for 3 minutes until thick.
- Place 1/2 of the asparagus in the bottom of a greased 1 1/2 quart shallow baking dish. Sprinkle with 1/2 of the chopped eggs. and dot with 1 tablespoon butter. Sprinkle 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper over all.
- Top with remaining asparagus. Sprinkle the remaining chopped eggs along the center portion of the asparagus.
- Pour the cream sauce down the middle of the baking dish. Sprinkle with bread crumbs and cheese. Dot uncovered portions of asparagus with the remaining 2 tablespoons of butter.
- Bake, covered, and 400 degrees for 15 minutes. Remove cover and bake 3-5 minutes longer or until topping is browned. Served immediately.