Prep 20 mins
Cook 45 mins
This is my version of scalloped apples made up in an attempt to keep the sugars as low as possible. I don't think that they can get any lower because you can't take the sugars out of the apples.
- 4 -6 large apples (Golden Delicious prefered)
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon allspice
- 2 tablespoons Splenda sugar substitute
- 1 tablespoon Splenda brown sugar blend
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon fine breadcrumbs
- 1 tablespoon margarine
- 1 dash nutmeg
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Peel, core and slice apples, put apples in a buttered shallow baking dish.
- Add water.
- Mix sugars, cinnamon and allspice.
- Sprinkle over apples along with lemon juice, bread crumbs and nutmeg.
- Dot with margarine.
- Bake about 45 minutes until apples are soft. Serve warm or cold.
These are what fall is about to me! Smelled delicious baking and were a low calorie treat! I used farm-fresh Granny Smith's and it was perfect...except the two of us ate the entire dish!!
This was so nice, when I made it at first I thought my that's a lot of spice, but was I wrong, the flavour was just amazing. Maybe I am just a wee bit frightened to use a lot but no more. I used golden delicious and made it exactly to the recipe, I let it go cold and served it with my favourite Greek low fat yoghurt it was very good. what a lovely dessert. Thank you for posting. made for Harvest apple moon festival Oct 2010
This is a wonderful light dessert. I used 6 Cortland apples. I didn't have Splenda brown sugar so I used brown sugar. I wasn't too sure about the breadcrumb, so I used crumbs of social tea cookies. I put unsalted butter on top and no nutmeg. Very good. Thanks Annacia :) Made for 123 hit wonders.