Recipe by Dawnab
I created this on my own after trying different types of wine and spices, and watching various cooking shows and reading recipes. Enjoy!
Top Review by Chef Kate
We loved this! I had very large divers' scallops so cut them in half and seared them for less time. Followed directions right up till the cheese--my guest and I tasted and decided it was lovely and rich without it. I tried it a second time, dusting the scallops with paprika before searing--it added a little bite and a bit of color. Excellent, Dawnab!
- 12 large sea scallops
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1⁄2 cup coarsely chopped onion
- 1⁄2 cup sliced mushrooms
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1⁄4 cup dry vermouth
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1⁄2 cup very sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat a sauce pan to med high.
- Add olive oil to hot pan then sear scallops for 4 minutes on each side.
- Remove and keep warm.
- Saute onions and mushrooms on high heat, till browned and cooked though (keep heat on med-hi).
- Add garlic and saute for 30 more seconds.
- Add vermouth, stir to get all brown bits off bottom, reduce heat.
- When most of liquid has cooked off, add cream.
- Bring to a boil for 3 minutes.
- Turn off heat, leave pan on burner add cheese.
- When cheese is melted, stir, add salt and pepper to taste and serve over scallops.