Prep 5 mins
Cook 40 mins
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 leeks, white part only,thinly sliced
- 2 -4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 4 cups fish stock or 4 cups bottled clam juice
- 2 cups canned tomatoes, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup dry vermouth (optional)
- 2 tablespoons grated orange rind
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil or 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1 pinch saffron
- 1 bay leaf (laurel)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fennel seed
- 1 lb scallops
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- freshly grated parmesan cheese
- Heat the oil in a large pot over moderate heat.
- and saute the leeks, garlic, and onion until.
- tender but not brown, about 5 minutes.
- Add the fish stock, tomatoes, optional vermouth, orange zest, basil, and saffron.
- Tie the bay leaf, thyme, and fennel seeds in a small piece of cheesecloth to make a bouquet garni and add it to the pot.
- Simmer covered for 30 minutes.
- Add the scallops and simmer until they turn opaque, 3 to 4 minutes.
- Remove and discard the bouquet garni.
- Stir in the parsley and serve immediately, garnished with grated Parmesan.