Recipe by dojemi
This recipe comes from the 'Beehive' in Boston. The prep time of 25 hours also includes the 24/hour overnight prepping of the watermelon rinds for the salad.
- 32 sea scallops (10/20 size)
- 1 large watermelon
- 32 slices prosciutto (about 1/2 pound)
- 32 basil leaves
- 1 teaspoon fennel seed
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 16 metal skewers
FOR THE SALAD
- 4 cups water
- 1 cup kosher salt
- 3 cups sugar
- 1 large watermelon rind (cut into 2-inch strips, green skin removed)
- 2 cups white wine vinegar
- 1 clove
- 1 whole nutmeg
- 1 lemon (halved)
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon red chili pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Cut watermelon into slices the same thickness as the scallops.
- Using a small knife or 2-inch ring mold, carve out 32, 2-inch watermelon rounds.
- Place two-each of scallops, prosciutto slices, basil leaves and watermelon rounds on ever skewer, alternating ingredients.
- Season each with fennel seed, salt and pepper.
- In a heavy-bottom saute' pan, heat vegetable oil over medium-high until almost smoking.
- Sear scallops until dark brown, but not burnt (prosciutto and basil will shrivel in the heat) about 5 minutes.
- Flip skewers and sear other side until scallops are cooked through, about one minute more.
- For the salad:.
- Dissolve kosher salt in 1 cup water and pour over rinds.
- Let sit overnight in the fridge.
- In a medium saucepan, bring remaining water and next seven ingredients to a boil.
- Remove from heat, strain, and add chili flakes.
- Let cool for 10 minutes.
- Return syrup to a boil.
- Soak watermelon rinds in clean water.
- Remove from water and pour the syrup over them.
- Let cool at room temperature, then refrigerate.