Prep 20 mins
Cook 15 mins
"Superfine angel hair and delicate scallops are coated with a light lemon, white wine and caper sauce. Make it a Meal: Serve with a crisp Sauvignon Blanc and Asparagus with Anchovies & Garlic." Found on Eating Well Newsletter, May/07. We made this for Live Strong Day - the sauce is very lemony just like with the veal - and it is just wonderful!
- 1 lb dry sea scallops, tough muscle removed
- 1⁄4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 8 ounces whole wheat angel hair pasta
- 1⁄2 cup white wine
- 1⁄2 cup clam juice
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1⁄4 cup chopped garlic
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice (not that bottled stuff!)
- 1 tablespoon capers, rinsed and chopped
- 2 teaspoons butter
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- Put a large pot of water on to boil.
- Sprinkle scallops on both sides with salt and pepper.
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat.
- Reduce heat to medium and add the scallops; cook, turning once, until browned on both sides, about 6 minutes total.
- Transfer to a plate.
- Cook pasta in the boiling water until not quite tender, about 4 minutes.
- Drain and rinse.
- Whisk wine, clam juice and cornstarch in a small bowl until smooth.
- Cook garlic in the pan over medium-high heat, stirring often, until softened, 1 to 2 minutes.
- Add the wine mixture; bring to a boil and cook until thickened, about 2 minutes.
- Stir in lemon juice, capers and butter; cook until the butter melts, 1 to 2 minutes.
- Return the scallops to the pan, add the pasta and cook, stirring gently, until heated through and coated with the sauce, about 1 minute.
- Stir in parsley and serve immediately.
"I Love A Flexible Recipe"! This one is a "keeper"! Don't have Sea Scallops? Use Bay Scallops like I did. - Don't have Clam Juice? Use a 6.5 oz can of Chopped Clams, for the juice, like I did. I followed the rest of the instructions for your recipe. (Bay Scallops need less time on high heat) I added the chopped clams before serving. (Just warmed them up) The combinations of scallops and clams with your super sauce was "fantastic". Served with Asparagus and a green salad. Even the leftover was "delish". Thank you for a new favorite.
I followed the recipe exactly, except I used the juice of 1 jemon in place of the 3 T. as we like our pasta with lots of lemon flavor. This recipe is definately a winner in my house. We will be making often in the future! Thanks DiScharf for another lovely recipe for my file.
Made exactly following the recipe and it was wonderful. Next time, and there will be a next time, I think I will double the sauce and up the lemon juice as we love a real lemony taste for piccata. I think I will also try this with shrimp. I served with the Asparagus with Anchovies & Garlic, another one of our favorite sides. Thanks for posting.